X Factor's Joe Gilligan visits Kearsley Academy2011-11-21 15:01:00
On 25th November Joe Gilligan visited Kearsley Academy to provide a workshop for the year 10 and 11 music groups.
As part of our Leadership specialism we have professionals coming in to the Academy to share their industry experiences with students. Joe was invited in to share his experiences from being an X Factor contestant.
Joe worked on developing performance skills and gave motivational talks about being a musician. He also watched and listened to performances by our students and gave them advice on how to improve. Students then performed their instruments again and saw the differences in their approach. Joe then modelled performance techniques as well as singing for the students. Some students even performed along side Joe such as year 11 Jenny Jones who sang acapella whilst Joe beatboxed.
Joe's visit ties in with the BTEC visit to the Royal Northern College of Music where Kearsley Academy watched performances from the Year 1 students from the Royal Northern. During the visit Kearsley Academy students watched musicians develop a performance from rehearsal to a final piece and learned about performance and rehearsal technique. Our students said:,br>
permalink to this article
Jenny Jones - Aged 15 Year 11
"Today was great in boosting my confidence, I sang with Joe and I felt like a professional!
'm really excited about developing my skills in our Kearsley Academy Sixth Form where I'm studying Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music."
Amy Bradbury - Aged 14 Year 10
"Over the past two days my confidence in performing has grown, it has been great to see musicians and share experiences of performing to an audience. I have experiences of performing both solo and in a band, this has made real what my teacher Mr Hood has said about the skills needed to pursue music such as dedication, confidence and resilience".
All news items
- Keeping the memory alive
- Who is Stephanie Roche?
- Fantastic response to call for Food Bank support
- End of term arrangements and newsletter
- Oliver Fielding writes about his visit to Parliament
- December Mock Exams
- BBC Apprentice's Adam Corbally visits Kearsley Academy
- Helping you to help your child achieve!
- Kearsley Academy student gets trip of a lifetime!
- Exam invigilator opportunity for parents
- Brilliant resources to support maths
- Parent Survey now live
- Netball Results
- September Open Evening
- Year 7 School Bus Timetable
- Fantastic results from our Sixth Form
- Uniform Updates for September
- Free School lunches over summer
- Summer School Success
- Year 7 Graduate with Children's University