X Factor's Joe Gilligan visits Kearsley Academy2011-11-21 15:01:00
On 25th November Joe Gilligan visited Kearsley Academy to provide a workshop for the year 10 and 11 music groups.
As part of our Leadership specialism we have professionals coming in to the Academy to share their industry experiences with students. Joe was invited in to share his experiences from being an X Factor contestant.
Joe worked on developing performance skills and gave motivational talks about being a musician. He also watched and listened to performances by our students and gave them advice on how to improve. Students then performed their instruments again and saw the differences in their approach. Joe then modelled performance techniques as well as singing for the students. Some students even performed along side Joe such as year 11 Jenny Jones who sang acapella whilst Joe beatboxed.
Joe's visit ties in with the BTEC visit to the Royal Northern College of Music where Kearsley Academy watched performances from the Year 1 students from the Royal Northern. During the visit Kearsley Academy students watched musicians develop a performance from rehearsal to a final piece and learned about performance and rehearsal technique. Our students said:,br>
permalink to this article
Jenny Jones - Aged 15 Year 11
"Today was great in boosting my confidence, I sang with Joe and I felt like a professional!
'm really excited about developing my skills in our Kearsley Academy Sixth Form where I'm studying Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music."
Amy Bradbury - Aged 14 Year 10
"Over the past two days my confidence in performing has grown, it has been great to see musicians and share experiences of performing to an audience. I have experiences of performing both solo and in a band, this has made real what my teacher Mr Hood has said about the skills needed to pursue music such as dedication, confidence and resilience".
All news items
- Esafety Week
- Healthy Schools Autumn Term News
- Homework Challenge Map Autumn One
- Life Without Levels - Year 7 and 8 'Mastery of Skills'
- NEW Enrichment Timetable
- First Day Arrangements for September
- Celebrating GCSE Student Success!
- Congratulations! Best Results Ever for our Sixth Form Students.
- Summer School Dates and Times
- New Year 7 Starters Summer School
- Help us win £5000 for Kaine's Library
- Claim a free lunch every day over summer
- New dates and end of term arrangements
- Maths Revision Resources
- Interhouse Masterchef 'Design A Menu Competition'
- New Reflective Learner Challenge Homework Map
- Students return from fantastic trek in China
- Women in Football (World Cup) - Life In Modern Britain Form Time
- Bolton News Celebrate Our Fantastic Ofsted Report!
- Year 11 study leave information